niedziela, 8 lutego 2015

Ksawery Wojcinski – The Soul (2014)

Ksawery Wojcinski

Ksawery Wojcinski - bass, piano, guitar, drums, voice

The Soul

FOR TUNE 0041





By Adam Baruch

This is the debut solo album by the Polish Jazz bassist/composer Ksawery Wojcinski, best known for his work on the vibrant Polish avant-garde scene and his role in the Hera ensemble, led by Waclaw Zimpel. On this album Wojcinski plays bass, piano, guitar, drums and sings. The album comprises of thirteen tunes, eleven of which were composed by Wojcinski, one was co-composed by him and the sound engineer Michal Kupicz and the remaining one is a traditional song.

As much as I like musical experimentation and unconventional excursions, the music on this album leaves me completely cold. Although the album's liner notes speak about a dialogue between the musician and the listener, personally I hear just a bunch of self indulgent ditties, which lack any consistence, don't convey any musical message and make no aesthetic sense whatsoever.

There is no doubt that Wojcinski is an excellent bassist, which he had plenty of opportunities to prove, and a sensitive musician. Somehow this music simply does not make any sense to me nor is it satisfactory on any of the planes I relate to music, like melody, harmony, improvisation, compositional depth and virtuosic performances. None of the above is present here as far as I am concerned.

Of course solo albums are particularly difficult and perhaps Wojcinski is simply not ready yet to take such a heroic plunge? Or perhaps it is only me not getting it? I have no idea, but this is not something I'll consider listening to again in the foreseeable future.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...